Students Recognized for Commitment to Academic and Civic Responsibility and Promise as Future Leaders of Higher Education
Washington, DC—January 10, 2011—The Association of American Colleges and Universities announced today the 2011 recipients of the annual K. Patricia Cross Future Leaders Award. This award recognizes graduate students who show exemplary promise as future leaders of higher education; who demonstrate a commitment to developing academic and civic responsibility in themselves and in others; and whose work reflects a strong emphasis on teaching and learning. The award is named in honor of K. Patricia Cross, professor of higher education, emerita, at the University of California, Berkeley.
The 2011 recipients are:
- Adam Bush, American Studies and Ethnicity, University of Southern California
- Edmond Chang, English, University of Washington
- Keary Engle, Chemistry, Scripps Research Institute
- Michelle Gaffey, Literature, Duquesne University
- Sam Potolicchio, American Government, Georgetown University
- Chera Reid, Higher Education, New York University
- Cara Robinson, Urban Affairs and Public Policy, University of Delaware
- Jennifer Veilleux, Psychology, University of Illinois at Chicago
These individuals were chosen from a pool of more than 225 nominations in a rigorous process through which they demonstrated their leadership ability or potential for exercising leadership in teaching and learning, and their strong commitment to academic and civic responsibility.